Back in 2020, I talked with archival producer Zev Feldman about his ongoing efforts to make great, officially unreleased recordings by titans of jazz available the right way — with state of the art sound, lavish documentation and full payment to musicians (or their estates) and other rights-holders. As co-president of Resonance Records and consulting producer for Elemental Music, this year Zev is responsible for five new sets he’s shepherded toward release on LP this Record Store Day, April 23rd; links to each album’s Bandcamp page (which offer CD and download pre-orders for April 29th release) are below!
- Bill Evans (piano), Morning Glory: The 1973 Concert at the Teatro Gran Rex, Buenos Aires (Resonance)
- Bill Evans, Inner Spirit: The 1979 Concert at the Teatro General San Martin, Buenos Aires (Resonance)
- Charles Mingus (bass), The Lost Album from Ronnie Scott’s (Resonance)
- Albert Ayler (tenor and soprano sax), Revelations: The Complete ORTF 1970 Fondation Maeght Recordings (Elemental)
- Chet Baker Trio (trumpet and vocals), Live In Paris: The Radio France Recordings 1983-1984 (Elemental)
It was a delight to catch up with Zev again and talk about this cornucopia of fine jazz from the vaults! Listen to our conversation below; transcribed highlights follow the jump.Continue reading The Spirit of Cecilia Interview: Record Store Day 2022 with “Jazz Detective” Zev Feldman